Friday 17 November 2017

Homework, Friday, 17th November, 2017

Read the following letter of complaint and answer the questions that go with it. 

This is due on Monday, 20th November, 2017


Barnabus A. Walpole-Mountbatten
123 Honeysuckle Lane
Harrogate
HA3 7YG

21st November, 2016

Tyler Durden
Customer Relations Manager
Easyjet Headquarters
Apollo House
Chiswick
CH87 8FC

Dear Mr Durden

I am writing to you because I had an absolutely terrible experience on one of your Aeroplanes recently. I mean, it was shocking. Absolutely shocking.

Firstly, the staff, both on the ground and on the plane, were all rude and unpleasant to me, not to mention smelly and, in some cases, unbearably ugly. I don’t think it’s fair that a paying customer should have to endure such horror.

Secondly, once we were in the air, I found the noise of the engines quite distressing. If you could turn it down next time I fly with you, it would be greatly appreciated as, at times, I thought my eardrums were going to literally explode.

Thirdly, the food was absolutely revolting. As someone who is used to the finer things in life (a typical meal for me might include fois gras, caviar and quale’s eggs), a simple meal of goat’s cheese salad, followed by roast suckling pig, finished with Black Forest Gateaux will simply not suffice. Please see to it that, on future flights, my tastes are catered for.

Lastly, the turbulence I experienced was unacceptable. Turbulence may be okay for the plebs in Economy, but if I am paying top dollar for a First Class ticket, I expect a First Class flying experience.

For these reasons, I am sure that you will cover the cost of my next booking as compensation for my horrendous experience.

Yours sincerely,

Barnabus A. Walpole-Mountbatten


Questions

1. In what town does Mr. Walpole-Mountbatten live?

2. What is the name of the airline he is complaining to?

3. What word does he use to describe the experience he had on the plane?

4. Write down one issue he had with the ground staff.

5. What does he suggest Easyjet does to fix the problem of noisy engines?

6. What did he have for dessert on the flight?

7. What does he think should be catered for on future flights?

8. For whom does he think turbulence might be okay?

9. Why does he think it is not okay for him?

10. Overall, do you think Mr. Walpole-Mountabtten has a good reason to complain? Why/why not?

Extension questions

11. Write down two examples of hyperbole you can find in the letter.

12. What evidence do we have that Mr. Walpole-Mountabatten might be something of a prude? (If you are not sure what the word ‘prude’ means, look it up).

13. What derogatory word does he use to describe people who fly economy class? (If you are not sure what the word ‘derogatory’ means, look it up).


14. Write down, in order of when they appear in the letter, the four main complaints he has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.